Sea Year Training Program Criteria
Sea Year is a cooperative educational program designed to give cadets practical knowledge of the performance and operating characteristics of various classes of vessels, the operating requirements in different trade routes, and labor relations in the ocean shipping industry. Sea Year training, typically consists of a sailing period during a cadet’s sophomore year and a longer sailing period during a cadet’s junior year, and enables cadets to obtain the training days at sea necessary to become eligible for a U.S. Coast Guard merchant officer license examination.
On December 15, 2021, MARAD released the following documents to govern the Sea Year:
- Every Mariner Builds A Respectful Culture (EMBARC) Standards
- Every Mariner Builds A Respectful Culture (EMBARC) Checklist
- Every Mariner Builds A Respectful Culture (EMBARC) U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) Maritime Administration (MARAD) U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) Policies & Procedures
- Every Mariner Builds a Respectful Culture (EMBARC) Statement of Compliance
- Every Mariner Build a Respectful Culture (EMBARC) Frequently Asked Questions
“The forms linked here represent a collection of information and is subject to a valid Office of Management and Budget (OMB) control number: 2133-0553. Persons who may respond to a collection of information are not required to respond unless the collection of information displays a current valid OMB control number.”
Letters from Leadership
- Letter to Kings Point Community - October 2, 2021
- Letter to Midshipmen - November 2, 2021
- Letter to Midshipmen - December 16, 2021
- EMBARC Update: Building a Safe Maritime Industry (April 5, 2022)
- EMBARC Update: Building a Safe Maritime Industry (September 13, 2022)
EMBARC Enrolled Carriers
- Ocean Shipholdings, Inc./Ocean Ships, Inc./Ocean Duchess, Inc.
- Keystone Shipping Company
- PASHA Hawaii Holdings
- Pacific-Gulf Marine, Inc
- Patriot Contract Services, LLC
- American Roll On Roll Off Carrier’s
- Waterman Transport, Inc.
- Maersk Line, Ltd.
- OSG Ship Management, Inc.
- APL Maritime
- Matson (RRF)
- Liberty Maritime Corporation
- TOTE Services, LLC